From PC-BSD Wiki
Revision as of 10:17, 9 July 2012 by Drulavigne
|What's New in 9.1|
The following features have been added to or improved for PC-BSD 9.1:
- Based on FreeBSD 9.1, which includes improved Intel video support.
- Installer has been revamped to separate pre-installation from post-installation tasks. This makes it easier to automate the roll-out of multiple installations.
- Installer provides a wizard to install a vanilla FreeBSD server or a PC-BSD server. In addition to the base FreeBSD install, the PC-BSD server edition includes the command line versions of the PC-BSD utilities.
- ZFS section of installer now allows you to set ZFS properties such as compression and quotas, create datasets, and import existing ZFS pools.
- ZFS datasets can now be used to provide a Multiple Boot Environment, making it easy to revert a failed upgrade or to provide multiple testing environments.
- Warden® is now built into the operating system and available through Control Panel.
- Warden® can now be used to manage multiple jails.
- Warden® now supports the creation of three types of jails: traditional FreeBSD jails for running network services, (a less secure) ports jail for safely installing and running FreeBSD ports/packages from your PC-BSD system, and the installation of Linux within a jail.
- Warden® now supports using ZFS snapshots within jails.
- Update Manager has been integrated into Warden®. Combined with the meta-package support, it is now easier than ever to install software into a jail and to keep that software up-to-date.
- AppCafe® now shows the number of available PBIs and supports automatic updating.
- EasyPBI is now available through Control Panel, making it easier than ever to convert existing FreeBSD ports to PC-BSD PBIs.
- An About icon has been added to the Control Panel, making it easy to determine the PC-BSD version and which desktops and version of X have been installed.
- A Hardware Compatibility icon has been added to the control panel, providing a quick overview of detected hardware devices.
- The GDM Configuration GUI has been added to Control Panel and can be used to configure auto-login and remote login through XDMCP.
- A Mount Tray icon has been added to the Control Panel and System Tray, allowing easy access to USB drives.
- A Sound Configuration icon has been added to the Control Panel,
- An Active Directory / LDAP GUI has been added to ??
- Network Configuration manager now supports 802.1x authentication over Ethernet networks.
- Life Preserver now provides a browse button when creating an include or exclude filter.
- Thin Client now allows you to create a PXE Boot Desktop Server or a PXE Boot Installation Server.
- ??Bug reporting tool?? (HOW TO USE NEEDS TO BE ADDED TO HANDBOOK)
- Bluetooth Manager has been added to the System Tray.
- Fastboot is now enabled by default. On average, startup is now 40 seconds faster.