What's New Since 9.1
The following features have been added since PC-BSD® 9.1 release. These features are currently only available in rolling releases. Once they are fully tested, they will be incorporated into the upcoming 9.2 release.
Here is a list of the new features:
- EasyPBI has been revamped, making it even easier to create complex PBIs.
- It is now possible to easily Convert a FreeBSD System to PC-BSD®.
- The GDM login manager has been replaced with the BSD-licensed PCDM.
- The system has changed from the traditional ports system to pkgng and all of the PC-BSD® utilities that deal with installing or updating software now use pkgng. This means that you can now safely install non-PBI software from the command line and that a system upgrade will no longer delete non-PBI software.
- The PC-BSD® utilities that deal with installing software or updates now use aria2 which greatly increases download speed over slow links. aria2 achieves this by downloading a file from multiple sources over multiple protocols in order to utilize the maximum download bandwidth. The pc-pkg command has been added as a wrapper script to pkg. Use pc-pkg if you wish to increase your download speed when installing or upgrading pkgng packages.