Using the Text Installer/10.0
(Sorry for the inconvenience)
If you prefer to perform an installation using an ncurses menu rather than a full graphical installer, select the option "Text Install/Emergency Console" from the installer boot menu shown in Figure 3a. Once the installer finishes loading, you will see the screen shown in Figure 5.1a.
Figure 5.1a: Text Installation Menu
This initial menu provides the following options:
- install: continues the installation using the text-based installer.
- xorg: launches the graphical installer described in Installing PC-BSD®.
- vesa: launches the graphical installer in VESA mode.
- utility: launches the menu described in Using the System Utilities Menu.
- reboot: exits the installer and reboots the system.
Use the up/down arrows to make selections then press enter to continue with the selection. If you keep the default selection of "install", you will be prompted to install a desktop or a server in the screen shown in Figure 5.1b.
Figure 5.1b: Text Installation Menu
After making a selection and pressing enter, the next screen will display the available disks on the system. In the example shown in Figure 5.1c, one disk is available.
Figure 5.1c: Text Installation Menu