Difference between revisions of "System Selection Screen/9.2/en"
(Importing a new version from external source)
m (FuzzyBot moved page System Selection Screen/en to System Selection Screen/9.2/en without leaving a redirect: Part of translatable page "System Selection Screen".)
Revision as of 05:47, 2 December 2013
(Sorry for the inconvenience)
The "System Selection" screen, shown in Figure 3.3a, allows you to install a desktop (PC-BSD®) or a server (TrueOS®) operating system. It also allows you to restore the operating system from a Life Preserver backup.
By default, PC-BSD® will be selected and the default window manager will depend upon the amount of RAM on the system. Systems containing more than 2GB of RAM will default to the KDE desktop and all other systems will default to the LXDE desktop. To change the default window manager or to browse for additional desktops and components to install, click the "Customize" button. If you highlight then right-click a component and select "View Packages", a pop-up menu will list the packages that are installed with that component.
In the example shown in Figure 3.3b, the user clicked “Customize” then expanded “Development” and right-clicked Development ➜ Development-Debug to access the “View Packages” option for this component.
The following components are available for installation.
- Desktops: includes the following supported desktops: GNOME2, KDE4, LXDE, and XFCE4. If you expand the + next to a desktop, you can select which components to install with that desktop. You can select as many desktops and components as you wish to install.
- Development: software utilities suited for developers. These include the valgrind debugging tool, QT development tools, CMake, GNU make, Subversion, and git.
- Hardware-Drivers: if you expand the + you can select additional drivers to install: HPLIP (for HP printers), Handheld (for syncing with WinCE devices), and NVIDIA . If you have an NVIDIA video card or a HP printer, check the applicable box to install the required drivers.
- Misc: if you expand the + you can select from the following: Compiz, the MythTV DVR, , VirtualBox Guest additions, and the XBMC/9.2 media center.
- Unsupported-Desktops: additional light-weight desktops for expert users. If you expand the + you can select from Awesome, FVWM, I3, IceWM, Openbox, Ratpoison, Spectrwm, WindowLab, or Window Maker.
If you check the box of a component that has a + next to it, it will automatically select all of its sub-components. You can click the + to expand and uncheck any sub-components that you do not wish to install.
Once you have made your selection(s), click the "Save" button to save your selections. The "System Selection" box will list the components that you selected for installation. You can now click the "Next" button to proceed to the next screen.