System Selection Screen/9.2
(Sorry for the inconvenience)
The "System" selection screen, shown in Figure 3.3a, allows you to select the system components and window managers to install with PC-BSD®. After installation, you can still install or uninstall additional components using Control Panel ➜ System Manager ➜ System Packages.
Figure 3.3a: Desktop Selection Screen
Use the arrow buttons to browse through the primary window managers. Each selection contains a short description. You can also select to install a FreeBSD or TrueOS server instead of a PC-BSD® desktop. If you only wish to select one component and have selected the one that appeals to you, click "Next" to continue to the next screen. Otherwise, click the "Customize" button which provides a larger menu of options and allows you to select multiple components to install. If you right-click a component and select "View Packages", a pop-up menu will list the packages that are installed with that component.
In the example shown in Figure 3.3b, the user has right-clicked Development ➜ Development-Science to view which packages will be installed with this component.
Figure 3.3b: Browsing Additional System Components
The following components are available for installation.
- Desktops: includes the following supported desktops: GNOME2, KDE4, LXDE, and XFCE4. If you expand the + next to a desktop, you can select which components to install with that desktop. You can select as many desktops and components as you wish to install.
- Development: software utilities suited for developers. These include the valgrind debugging tool, QT development tools, CMake, GNU make, Subversion, and git.
- Hardware-Drivers: if you expand the + you can select which drivers to install: HPLIP (for HP printers), Handheld (for syncing with WinCE devices), and NVIDIA video drivers. If you have a newer NVIDIA card, select "NVIDIA". If you have an older NVIDIA card on a 32-bit system, select the series that supports your model.
- Misc: if you expand the + you can select from the following: Compiz, the MythTV DVR, , VirtualBox Guest additions, and the XBMC media center.
- Unsupported-Desktops: additional light-weight desktops for expert users. If you expand the + you can select from Awesome, Enlightenment, EvilWM, FVWM, i3, IceWM, Openbox, Ratpoison, Spectrwm, WindowLab, or Window Maker.
NOTE: Fluxbox is always installed and available in the login menu of a PC-BSD® system.
If you check the box of a component that has a + next to it, it will automatically select all of its sub-components. You can click the + to expand and uncheck any sub-components that you do not wish to install.
Once you have made your selection(s), click the "Save" button to save your selections. The "System Selection" box will list the components that you selected for installation. You can now click the "Next" button to proceed to the next screen.