System Selection Screen/10.1
The "System Selection" screen, shown in Figure 3.2a, allows you to install a desktop (PC-BSD®) or a server (TrueOS®) operating system. It also allows you to restore the operating system from a Life Preserver backup. The rest of this chapter concentrates on a desktop installation. Refer to Install a Server for instructions on how to install a command-line only server.
By default, PC-BSD® will be selected and the default window manager will depend upon the amount of RAM on the system. Systems containing more than 2GB of RAM will default to the KDE desktop and all other systems will default to the LXDE desktop. To change the default window manager or to browse for additional desktops and components to install, click the "Customize" button. If you highlight then right-click a component and select "View Packages", a pop-up menu will list the packages that are installed with that component.
In the example shown in Figure 3.2b, the user clicked “Customize” then expanded “Emulators” and right-clicked "VirtualBox" to access the “View Packages” option for this component.
The following components are available for installation.
- Desktop: the following desktops are available: Awesome, Cinnamon, FVWM, GNOME3, i3, IceWM, KDE4, Lumina, LXDE, Mate, Openbox, Ratpoison, Spectrwm, WindowLab, Window Maker, and XFCE4. Each desktop that is selected will be installed and will appear in the login menu of the installed PC-BSD® system.
- Drivers: if you have an NVIDIA video card, make sure this box is checked so that the required drivers are installed.
- Emulators: if you expand the + you can select to install and Windows Emulation.
- i18n: if you expand the + you can select to install localization for the operating system and for the KDE desktop.
- Mail: check this box to install the email client.
- Virtualization: if you expand the + you can install and VirtualBox Guest additions.
- Web: if you expand the + you can select to install the and web browsers.
Check the box of a component that has a + next to it in order to check or uncheck its sub-components. All componets that are checked will be installed.
Once you have made your selection(s), click the "Save" button to save your selections. The "PC-BSD Package Selection" box will list the components that you selected for installation. You can now click the "Next" button to proceed to the next screen.