System Selection Screen/10.1
The "System Selection" screen, shown in Figure 3.2a, allows you to install a desktop (PC-BSD®) or a server (TrueOS®) operating system. It also allows you to restore the operating system from a Life Preserver backup.
By default, PC-BSD® will be selected and the default window manager will depend upon the amount of RAM on the system. Systems containing more than 2GB of RAM will default to the KDE desktop and all other systems will default to the LXDE desktop. To change the default window manager or to browse for additional desktops and components to install, click the "Customize" button. If you highlight then right-click a component and select "View Packages", a pop-up menu will list the packages that are installed with that component.
In the example shown in Figure 3.2b, the user clicked “Customize” then expanded “Emulators” and right-clicked Emulators ➜ VirtualBox to access the “View Packages” option for this component.
The following components are available for installation.
- Desktop: the following desktops are available: Awesome, Cinnamon, FVWM, GNOME3, i3, IceWM, KDE4, Lumina, LXDE, Mate, Openbox, Ratpoison, Spectrwm, WindowLab, Window Maker, and XFCE4.
- Drivers: if you expand the + you can select to install NVIDIA drivers. If you have an NVIDIA video card, check the box to install the required drivers.
- Emulators: if you expand the + you can select to install VirtualBox or Wine.
- Mail: if you expand the + you can select to install the Thunderbird email client.
- Virtualization: if you expand the + you can select from the following: and VirtualBox Guest additions.
- Web: if you expand the + you can select to install the Chromium or Firefox web browsers.
- i18n: if you expand the + you can select to install localization for the operating system or for the KDE desktop.
If you check the box of a component that has a + next to it, it will automatically select all of its sub-components. You can click the + to expand and uncheck any sub-components that you do not wish to install.
Once you have made your selection(s), click the "Save" button to save your selections. The "System Selection" box will list the components that you selected for installation. You can now click the "Next" button to proceed to the next screen.