Potential remains for unforeseen breakage primarily in the handbook portion of the wiki.
Notice will be up until above verified and no other troubles found from recent modifications.
Submit PBI Requests/9.2
Is an application that you need not currently available as a PBI? Making a PBI request is an excellent way to let PBI developers know which applications are most useful to PC-BSD users. Before requesting a PBI, please do the following:
- check in Software Manager to see if a PBI already exists. If one does but you want to request a more recent version, please say so in your request.
- search at Freshports to see if there is an existing FreeBSD package as it is much easier and quicker to make a PBI from an existing package. If a package does not already exist, please say so in your request.
- check to see if a request has already been made in the PBI Requests Forum or PBI-dev Mailing list.
You can make your request one of two ways:
Whatever method you choose, include the name of the PBI you are requesting in the thread name or email subject line. That way it is easy for PBI developers and other PC-BSD users to know which applications have been requested.
People who create PBIs are subscribed to both the PBI Requests forum and the PBI-dev mailing list. Usually, someone will respond to a request within a few days either indicating that they are working on creating the PBI or with an explanation if creating a PBI will be problematic. The PBI process is as follows:
1. a user requests a PBI
2. someone responds to the request and creates a PBI module
3. the PBI module is sent to the pbi-dev mailing list so it can be added to the PBI build server
4. the PBI module is built on the PBI build server
5. once the PBI is built, PBI testers test for basic functionality such as verifying that the application starts and its menus appear to be present and working
6. once the PBI is tested, the PBI is uploaded to PBIDir so it can be available in Software Manager
7. once the PBI is uploaded, the PBI request is moved from the PBI Requests Forum to the Finished PBIs forum
Please note that it takes at least 2-7 days for a new PBI to go from step 3 to step 7 as it needs to be fully tested. If there is a delay, that means a problem was found in the PBI and that the testers are trying to resolve the problem.
If you wish to be notified whenever a new PBI is added or an existing one is upgraded to a newer version, subscribe to the Latest PBI RSS feed.