(Sorry for the inconvenience)
The PC-BSD Display Manager (PCDM) is a new, BSD-licensed graphical login utility. In PC-BSD® 9.2, it will replace the GDM login utility. It will be added to a future rolling release to allow testing before the release of PC-BSD® 9.2.
PCDM provides the following features:
- provides PAM session/authentication using the login PAM module
- supports remote login with XDMCP (needs additional testing)
- provides an easy-to-use desktop environment selector
- provides language and locale selectors during login
- includes a keyboard layout selector
- includes a virtual Keyboard (using xvkbd)
- can be used to shutdown or restart the computer
If you would like to help test PCDM before it is available in a rolling release, you can build it on your current 9.x PC-BSD® system using the following instructions.
First, go to System Manager -> System Packages and make sure that Development -> Development-Qt and Development-VCS are installed. You will also need to install system source using System Manager -> Tasks.
Next, open a command prompt, become the superuser, and cd to a directory suitable for downloading the PCDM source. Execute the following commands to download and build the PCDM source:
svn co svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd/current/src-qt4/PCDM cd src-qt4/PCDM/ qmake-qt4 *.pro make make install