PC-BSD® Users Handbook/9.2
This is the wiki area for the collaborative editing of the upcoming edition (version 9.1) of the PC-BSD Users Handbook. If you are beta testing the upcoming 9.1 release or would like to assist in documenting this release, use this wiki version of the PC-BSD 9.1 Handbook. Otherwise, you instead want to use the version of the PC-BSD Users Handbook that matches your version of PC-BSD.
Beginning with PC-BSD version 8.2, a PDF of the Users Handbook matching the released version is included as an icon on the PC-BSD desktop. In addition, the Users Handbook is published in various formats as listed below. Translations of the Handbook are added as they become available and any downloadable file name will indicate the language with a 2-letter ISO code. If you are interested in translating a released version of the documentation, send an email to the PC-BSD translations mailing list.
Published Versions (in reverse chronological order):
PC-BSD 9.0 was released on 13 January 2012. The 9.0 Users Handbook is available in the following formats:
- For those who prefer to purchase a copy of the Handbook for their Kindle, "PC-BSD 9.0 Handbook (English Version)" is available from Amazon. The ASIN is B006W0EHN8 and this version is text-to-speech enabled.
- For those who prefer a "dead tree" version of the Handbook, the book version as well as a book and DVD bundle are available from FreeBSD Mall. The ISBN for the book is 1-57176-398-8.
PC-BSD 8.2 was released on 24 February 2011. The 8.2 Users Handbook is available in the following formats:
- For those who prefer to purchase a copy of the Handbook for their Kindle, "PC-BSD 8.2 Handbook (English Version)" is available from Amazon. The ASIN is B004SP6PXY and this version is text-to-speech enabled.
All versions of the PC-BSD® Handbook are released under the Creative Commons Attribution License. This means that you are free to distribute, modify, translate, and convert the Handbook to other formats, as long as your version retains the following attribution text:
|Copyright 2011-2013, The PC-BSD® Project.
PC-BSD® and the PC-BSD® logo are trademarks of iXsystems.
|If you translate the handbook to another language, or convert it to other formats, please let us know so that we can help you spread the word and include it on the FTP server.|
The Handbook grows into a useful resource when users (meaning you!) contribute to it. You do not have to write large sections of the Handbook in order to be a contributor. You also do not need to have a lot of time on your hands. You simply have to create a login account in order to assist with any of the following tasks:
- proofread existing pages and fix any typos, grammos, or unclearly worded sections.
- add to sections containing missing, outdated, or incomplete content.
- update any screenshots that are out of date.
- every page has a Discussion tab. You can use this if you would like to suggest further information that should appear in that section of the Handbook.
- create a new section for content that is not yet covered in the Handbook. If you are not sure where to do this, ask on a semi-related Discussion tab.
We are emailed whenever edits are made and will contact you for clarification if an edit is unclear. You can also be notified when specified pages are edited--simply click the "my preferences" or "my watchlist" links whenever you are logged into the wiki.
Work in Progress: PC-BSD 9.1 Users Handbook
If the information and screenshots on the wiki do not match what you are seeing on your PC-BSD system, it means it has changed between your version and the upcoming 9.1 version. You should instead refer to the Users Handbook that came with your version of PC-BSD.