Your PC-BSD system has been pre-configured to allow you to play multimedia in many formats. For example, if you insert a music CD or a video DVD, device notifier will indicate that a new media is available and will offer options for accessing that media. Figure 5.5a shows an example with a music CD inserted:
Figure 5.5a: Options for Accessing a Music CD
In this example, the user can choose to play the CD using VLC (which was installed with Software Manager), with KsCD (which was installed with PC-BSD), or to browse the contents of the CD using File Manager. The user can also choose to click the eject button (circle with up arrow), which will open the media tray so the CD can be removed. You'll find additional media players in Application Launcher -> Applications -> Multimedia.
While web browsing, you should be able to play most media formats, including Youtube videos, Internet radio, and many trailer and movie sites.
Note: If you happen to come across a file that you can not play in a web browser or media player, it is probably because it is in a proprietary format that requires a licensing fee or restricts distribution of the codec that is required to play that media format.
The Multimedia category of Software Manager contains several dozen applications for playing and editing multimedia. It includes these popular applications (click the links to view screenshots):
- Amarok: music player that includes integrated support for many web services such as Last.fm, Magnatune, Echo Nest, Ampache, MP3Tunes, Jamendo, OPML, and Librivox.
- Ardour: digital audio workstation that provides non-destructive, non-linear editing with unlimited undo and more than 200 LADSPA & LV2 plugins.
- aTunes: full-featured audio player and manager that can play mp3, ogg, wma, wav, flac, mp4 and radio streaming, allowing users to easily edit tags, organize music and rip audio CDs.
- Audacity: multilingual audio editor and recorder.
- gtkpod: graphical user interface for the Apple iPod.
- Miro: HD video player that can play almost any video file and offers over 6,000 free Internet TV shows and video podcasts.
- Rhythmbox: integrated music management application