(Sorry for the inconvenience)
PC-BSD® has been pre-configured to support most multimedia formats and makes it easy to install most open source media applications using AppCafe®. In addition, the following Control Panel icons are available, regardless of the desktop:
- Sound Configuration: this utility displays the recognized audio devices and allows you to select and test which device to use by default.
- Mount Tray: this application automatically detects the insertion and removal of media in USB devices. This means that any desktop should notify you if media is inserted into a USB CD/DVD device.
If you insert a CD/DVD media into an internal CD/DVD device and your desktop does not notify you, you can still mount the media manually as the superuser. This command will mount a CD inserted into the first internal CD device:
mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /media
If you install your web browser using AppCafe®, you should be able to play most media formats, including Youtube videos, Internet radio, and many trailer and movie sites.
NOTE: if you happen to come across a file that you can not play in a web browser or media player, it is probably because it is in a proprietary format that requires a licensing fee or restricts distribution of the codec that is required to play that media format.
The "Multimedia" category of AppCafe® contains several dozen applications for playing and editing multimedia. It includes these popular applications (click the links to view screenshots):
- : digital audio workstation that provides non-destructive, non-linear editing with unlimited undo and more than 200 LADSPA & LV2 plugins.
- : full-featured audio player and manager that can play mp3, ogg, wma, wav, flac, mp4 and radio streaming, allowing users to easily edit tags, organize music and rip audio CDs.
- : multilingual audio editor and recorder.
- : audio player with a focus on low resource usage, high audio quality, and support for a wide range of audio formats.
- : audio player built around a highly modular structure that lets the user disable completely the features he does not need. Able to play CDs directly.
- : graphical user interface for the Apple iPod.
- : an application for watching Hulu programming without a web browser.
- : DVD and CD media player.
- : HD video player that can play almost any video file and offers over 6,000 free Internet TV shows and video podcasts.
- : integrated music management application.
- : the official movie player of the GNOME desktop environment based on GStreamer. It features a playlist, a full-screen mode, seek and volume controls, as well as keyboard navigation.
- : universal media player that can handle any media format and play audio CDs, DVDs, (S)VCDs, TV/radio cards, YouTube™ and SHOUTcast™ streams.
- : simple, fast and powerful media player which plays everything: files, discs, webcams, devices and streams.