Difference between revisions of "Multimedia/9.2"
|Line 50:||Line 50:|
* Hulu-Desktop: an application for watching Hulu programming without a web browser.
Revision as of 13:26, 26 September 2013
(Sorry for the inconvenience)
PC-BSD® has been pre-configured to support most multimedia formats and makes it easy to install most open source media applications using AppCafe®. In addition, the following Control Panel icons are available, regardless of the desktop:
- Sound Configuration: this utility displays the recognized audio devices and allows you to select and test which device to use by default.
- Mount Tray: this application automatically detects the insertion and removal of media in USB devices. This means that any desktop should notify you if media is inserted into a USB CD/DVD device.
If you insert a CD/DVD media into an internal CD/DVD device and your desktop does not notify you, you can still mount the media manually as the superuser. This command will mount a CD inserted into the first internal CD device:
If you install your web browser using AppCafe®, you should be able to play most media formats, including Youtube videos, Internet radio, and many trailer and movie sites.
If people are blue in YouTube videos, this is due to a known issue in flash which Adobe hasn't fixed for open source players. To resolve this issue, right-click an area in the video, select "Settings", then uncheck the box "Enable hardware acceleration". Alternately, use the Minitube PBI to watch YouTube.
NOTE: if you happen to come across a file that you can not play in a web browser or media player, it is probably because it is in a proprietary format that requires a licensing fee or restricts distribution of the codec that is required to play that media format.
The "Multimedia" category of AppCafe® contains several dozen applications for playing and editing multimedia. It includes these popular applications (click the links to view screenshots):
- : digital audio workstation that provides non-destructive, non-linear editing with unlimited undo and more than 200 LADSPA & LV2 plugins.
- : full-featured audio player and manager that can play mp3, ogg, wma, wav, flac, mp4 and radio streaming, allowing users to easily edit tags, organize music and rip audio CDs.
- : multilingual audio editor and recorder.
- : audio player with a focus on low resource usage, high audio quality, and support for a wide range of audio formats.
- : audio player built around a highly modular structure that lets the user disable completely the features he does not need. Able to play CDs directly.
- : graphical user interface for the Apple iPod.
- Hulu-Desktop: an application for watching Hulu programming without a web browser.
- : DVD and CD media player.
- : HD video player that can play almost any video file and offers over 6,000 free Internet TV shows and video podcasts.
- : integrated music management application.
- : the official movie player of the GNOME desktop environment based on GStreamer. It features a playlist, a full-screen mode, seek and volume controls, as well as keyboard navigation.
- : universal media player that can handle any media format and play audio CDs, DVDs, (S)VCDs, TV/radio cards, YouTube™ and SHOUTcast™ streams.
- : simple, fast and powerful media player which plays everything: files, discs, webcams, devices and streams.