Mailing lists are a handy way to discuss problems, solutions, and requested features as they create a searchable archive of discussions. The PC-BSD Project offers the following mailing lists to cover a wide variety of discussion topics:
- Announcements: a read-only, low frequency list used by the PC-BSD team to make announcements to the community.
- Commits: lists SVN commits as PC-BSD code is added or modified by developers.
- Dev: for discussion related to PC-BSD technical development.
- Docs: for communications between those involved, or interested in contributing to, the PC-BSD documentation effort.
- Installer: for discussions about the backend to the pc-sysinstall utility.
- PBI-bugs: for users to report and discuss bugs found in PBI applications.
- PBI-dev: for discussions between PBI developers and users concerning PBI construction and maintenance.
- PBIbuild: lists SVN commits as PBIs are added or modified by PBI developers.
- PCBSD-Malaysia: general discussion list for Malaysian users in their native language.
- PCBSD-warden: the place to discuss The Warden software for PC-BSD.
- Public: general public list for discussion not related to the other mailing lists.
- Support: if you have a problem, you should report your issue or error messages on this list.
- Testing: for those wishing to participate in PC-BSD beta testing and feedback.
- Trac-bugs: lists notifications about changes to PC-BSD bug reports in Trac database.
- Translations: for those involved in translating for PC-BSD.
Each mailing list includes a description of topics suitable for discussion on that list and indicates if it is read only or available for user discussion. Anyone can read the archives for a list. If you wish to send an email to a list, subscribe to it and confirm your subscription first.
Apart from these official mailing lists, there's also a number of non-official mailing lists set up by PC-BSD users. Many of these lists are designed for discussion in other languages. A list of alternative PC-BSD mailing lists can be found here.