is the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. It is an excellent choice for older hardware or for users who want a complete desktop environment without all of the overhead required by KDE or GNOME. Since it is XDG-compliant, the PC-BSD® Control Panel, AppCafe®, and Life Preserver are available on the desktop and integrated into LXDE's menus. Figure 6.3a shows a screenshot of the default LXDE installation with the LXPanel open.
In addition to the PC-BSD® utilities, LXDE provides the following utilities:
- : desktop panel which is launched by clicking on the PC-BSD® icon in the lower right corner of the desktop. To configure the panel, right-click the PC-BSD® icon and select "Panel Settings" or "Add/Remove Panel Items" from the right-click menu.
- Accessories → File Manager PCManFM. A file manager with features like drag and drop, tabbed browsing, built-in file search, file association with default application, thumbnails for images, bookmarks, and support for non-UTF-8 encoded filenames. : found in
- Accessories → Image Viewer. : fast image viewer found in
- Accessories → Leafpad. : a light-weight graphical text editor found in
- Accessories → LXTerminal. : terminal emulator found in
- Accessories → Xarchiver. : archiver utility that supports the 7z, ARJ, bzip2, gzip, lzma, RAR, RPM, DEB, tar, and ZIP file formats. Found in
- epdfview: a PDF viewer with printing support found in Office → ePDFViewer.
- System Tools → Task Manager. : task manager and system monitor found in
- Preferences → Customize Look and Feel. : a theme switcher for customizing the widgets, colors, icons, mouse cursors, and sound effects used by applications, found in
- LXInput: a tool to configure your keyboard and mouse found in Preferences → Keyboard and Mouse.
- Preferences → Openbox Configuration Manager. : the window manager used by LXDE. You can configure settings such as themes, appearance, mouse, and margins by going to
- Preferences → Openbox Key bindings. : a key editor found in
Thisdescribes how to configure an application to autostart when you login to LXDE.