(Sorry for the inconvenience)
LXDE is the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. It is an excellent choice for older hardware or for users who wish for a complete window manager without all of the overhead required by KDE or GNOME. Since it is XDG-compliant, the PC-BSD Control Panel, AppCafe™, and Life Preserver will be available on the desktop and will integrate into LXDE's menus.
Figure 5.3a shows a screenshot of the default LXDE installation with the LXPanel open.
Figure 5.3a: LXDE Desktop on a PC-BSD System
In addition to PC-BSD's utilities, LXDE provides the following utilities:
- PCManFM: found in Utilities -> File Manager. A file manager with features like drag and drop, tabbed browsing, built-in file search, file association with default application, thumbnails for images, bookmarks, and support for non-UTF-8 encoded filenames.
- LXPanel: desktop panel which is launched by clicking on the PC-BSD icon in lower right corner of desktop. To configure the panel, right-click the PC-BSD icon and select "Panel Settings" or "Add/Remove Panel Items" from the right-click menu.
- GPicView: fast image viewer found in Graphics -> Image Viewer.
- epdfview: a PDF viewer found in Office -> ePDFViewer.
- LXInput: a tool to configure your keyboard and mouse found in Settings -> Keyboard and Mouse.
- Openbox: the window manager used by LXDE. You can configure settings such as themes, appearance, mouse, and margins by going to Settings -> Openbox Configuration Manager.
- LXTask: task manager and system monitor found in System -> Task Manager.
- Leafpad: a light-weight graphical text editor found in Utilities -> Leafpad.
- LXTerminal: terminal emulator found in Utilities ->LXTerminal
- Xarchiver: archiver utility that supports the 7z, ARJ, bzip2, gzip, lzma, RAR, RPM, DEB, tar, and ZIP file formats. Found in Utilities -> Xarchiver.
LXDE does not ship with a web browser. However, you can use AppCafe™ to install your web browser of choice.