(Sorry for the inconvenience)
is the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. It is an excellent choice for older hardware or for users who wish for a complete window manager without all of the overhead required by KDE or GNOME. Since it is XDG-compliant, the PC-BSD Control Panel, AppCafe®, and Life Preserver will be available on the desktop and will integrate into LXDE's menus.
Figure 6.3a shows a screenshot of the default LXDE installation with the LXPanel open.
Figure 6.3a: LXDE Desktop on a PC-BSD System
In addition to PC-BSD's utilities, LXDE provides the following utilities:
- : desktop panel which is launched by clicking on the PC-BSD icon in the lower right corner of the desktop. To configure the panel, right-click the PC-BSD icon and select "Panel Settings" or "Add/Remove Panel Items" from the right-click menu.
- : found in Accessories ➜ File Manager. A file manager with features like drag and drop, tabbed browsing, built-in file search, file association with default application, thumbnails for images, bookmarks, and support for non-UTF-8 encoded filenames.
- : fast image viewer found in Accessories ➜ Image Viewer.
- : a light-weight graphical text editor found in Accessories ➜ Leafpad.
- : terminal emulator found in Accessories ➜ LXTerminal
- : archiver utility that supports the 7z, ARJ, bzip2, gzip, lzma, RAR, RPM, DEB, tar, and ZIP file formats. Found in Accessories ➜ Xarchiver.
- : a PDF viewer found in Office ➜ ePDFViewer.
- : a theme switcher for customizing the widgets, colors, icons, mouse cursors, and sound effects used by applications. Found in Preferences ➜ Customize Look and Feel.
- LXInput: a tool to configure your keyboard and mouse found in Preferences ➜ Keyboard and Mouse.
- : the window manager used by LXDE. You can configure settings such as themes, appearance, mouse, and margins by going to Preferences ➜ Openbox Configuration Manager.
- : task manager and system monitor found in System Tools ➜ Task Manager.
LXDE does not ship with a web browser. However, you can use AppCafe® to install your web browser of choice. Once you install a browser, an Internet category will be added to the LXPanel menu.