(Sorry for the inconvenience)
Thedesktop environment provides many features and applications. However, it is hardware intensive and may run slowly on a computer with an older processor or a small amount of RAM. Figure 6.2a shows a screenshot of KDE4 running on PC-BSD® 9.2 with the "Applications" menu open.
- : image viewer found in Graphics ➜ Image Viewer.
- : photo-management program found in Graphics ➜ Photo Management Program.
- : file manager, web browser, and SSH client found in Internet ➜ Web Browser.
- : document viewer and annotator found in Office - Document Viewer. Supports PDF, OpenOffice, and Postscript files.
- : organizer utility and reminder daemon found in Office ➜ Personal Organizer.
- : file manager found in System ➜ File Manager. Dolphin provides many features for manipulating files such as comments, tags, search, encryption, and archival (zip/unzip) functions.
By default, desktop effects are disabled, as not all video cards support them. If your video card supports 3D effects and you would like to enable them in KDE, go to System Settings ➜ Desktop Effects ➜ General and check the box "Enable desktop effects at startup".
You may or may not have installed all of KDE's components during installation. You can view the installed components and check (to add) or uncheck (to delete) various components using Control Panel ➜ Package Manager ➜ Desktops/9.2 ➜ KDE.
If you have KDE installed and are currently logged into a different window manager, you can still run any KDE application by specifying its name. For example, type konqueror to run the Konqueror web browser or dolphin to access the Dolphin File Manager.
includes descriptions and screenshots of all of KDE's applications as well as links to their handbooks.
contains additional themes and wallpapers.