Like many open source projects, PC-BSD has an IRC channel to connect supporters and users. To get connected, use the following information in your IRC client:
Server name: irc.freenode.net
Channel name: #pcbsd
IRC is a great way to chat with other users and get answers to your questions. A few things to keep in mind if you ask a question on IRC:
- Most of the regular users are always logged in, even when they're away from their computer or are busy doing other computing tasks. If you don't get an answer right away, don't get mad, leave the channel and never come back again. Stick around for a while to see if anyone responds.
- IRC users represent many different time zones. It is quite possible that it is late at night or very early in the morning for some users when you ask a question.
- Don't post error messages in the channel as the IRC software will probably kick you out. Instead, use a pasting service such as pastebin and refer to the URL on channel.
- Be polite and don't demand that others answer your question.
- It is considered rude to DM (direct message) someone who does not know you. If noone answers your question, don't start DMing people you don't know.
- The first time you join a channel, it is okay to say hi and introduce yourself.