From PC-BSD Wiki
Revision as of 13:44, 3 August 2011 by Drulavigne
|Goals and Features|
PC-BSD has been designed with the casual computer user in mind. The PC-BSD community aims to provide the following features:
- Easy installation: to install PC-BSD, simply insert the installation media, reboot the system to start the installer, and answer a few questions in the graphical menus.
- Automatically configured hardware: video, sound, network and other devices are automatically configured for you.
- Intuitive desktop interface: PC-BSD comes with a choice of desktop environments to support your day-to-day computing needs.
- Easy software management: with the included PC-BSD AppCafe™ utility, installing, upgrading, and uninstalling software is safe and easy.
- Binary compatibility: able to run almost all GNU/Linux applications like Oracle, WordPerfect, Skype, Doom 3, Quake 4, etc. through the Linux Compatibility Layer (LCL) and able to run Windows XP/2000 through emulators (such as Qemu or Win4BSD) and Windows applications through the Wine PBI.
- Lots of software available: in addition to its own PBI software, you can install software that has been ported to FreeBSD (currently over 22,000 applications).
- Easy to update: PC-BSD provides a built-in Update Manager that will notify you of available updates and allow you to apply operating system security fixes, bug fixes, system enhancements as well as upgrade to newer versions of installed software.
- Virus-free: PC-BSD is not affected by viruses, spyware and other malware.
- No defragmentation: PC-BSD drives do not need to be defragmented and do not slow down over time. PC-BSD also supports ZFS which is a self-healing filesystem.
- Architecture support: PC-BSD is available for the i386 architecture and for 64bit systems.
- Laptop support: provides power saving and swap space encryption and automatically switches between wired and wifi network connections.
- Secure environment: PC-BSD provides a pre-configured PF firewall and brute-force attack protection with denyhosts.
- Easy system administration: PC-BSD provides a Control Panel containing many graphical tools for performing system administration tasks.
- Localization: PC-BSD supports a number of native languages and locales.
- Vibrant community: PC-BSD has a friendly and helpful support community.
- Professional support: professional email and phone support is available from iXsystems.