Goals and Features/9.2
From PC-BSD Wiki
Revision as of 06:44, 6 April 2011 by Drulavigne
PC-BSD has been designed with the "casual" computer user in mind. The PC-BSD community aims to provide the following features:
- Easy installation: to install PC-BSD, simply insert the installation DVD, reboot the system to start the installer, and answer a few questions in the graphical menus.
- Automatically configure hardware: such as video, sound, network and other devices so that they are available for use at the first system startup.
- Intuitive desktop interface: PC-BSD comes with the latest stable version of the KDE desktop environment. The KDE applications alone will probably cover most of your day-to-day computing needs.
- Easy software management: with the included PC-BSD Software Manager utility, installing, upgrading, and uninstalling PBI software is safe and easy.
- Lots of software available: in addition to its own PBI software, you can install software that has been ported to FreeBSD (currently over 22,000 applications). You can also run Linux software that has not been ported using Linux binary emulation.
- Easy to update: PC-BSD provides a built-in Update Manager that will notify you of available system updates to install security fixes, bug fixes, system enhancements and newer versions of software.
- No viruses: PC-BSD is not affected by viruses, spyware and other malware
- No defragmentation: PC-BSD drives do not need to be defragmented and do not slow down over time.
- Sharing: your PC-BSD system can participate in a Windows network and can access Windows shares.
- Visually attractive: PC-BSD installs Nvidia video card drivers and the Compiz-Fusion accelerated 3D desktop for the next level of desktop experience. Adobe Flash is installed so you can watch your favorite movies and videos on Youtube and Google Video.
- Architecture support: PC-BSD is available for the i386 architecture and for 64bit systems.
- Laptop support: provides power saving and swap space encryption, and automatically switches between wired and wifi network connections.
- Secure environment: PC-BSD provides a pre-configured PF firewall and brute-force attack protection with denyhosts. It is also safe from viruses, adware, spyware and trojans.
- Binary compatibility: able to run almost all GNU/Linux applications like Oracle, WordPerfect, Skype, Doom 3, Quake 4, etc. through the Linux Compatibility Layer (LCL) and able to run Windows XP/2000 through emulators (such as Qemu or Win4BSD) and Windows applications through the Wine PBI.
- Easy system administration: PC-BSD provides many graphical tools for performing system administration tasks.
- Localization: PC-BSD supports a number of native languages and locales.
- Vibrant community: PC-BSD has a friendly and helpful support community.
- Professional support: professional email and phone support is available from iXsystems.