Goals and Features/9.2
From PC-BSD Wiki
Revision as of 08:49, 31 July 2012 by Drulavigne
(Sorry for the inconvenience)
Designed with the desktop computer user in mind, PC-BSD provides the following features:
- Easy installation: to install PC-BSD, simply insert the installation media, reboot the system to start the installer, and answer a few questions in the graphical menus.
- Automatically configured hardware: video, sound, network and other devices are automatically configured for you.
- Intuitive desktop interface: PC-BSD comes with a choice of desktop environments to support your day-to-day computing needs.
- Easy software management: with PC-BSD's AppCafe® utility, installing, upgrading, and uninstalling software is safe and easy.
- Lots of software available: in addition to its own software, PC-BSD can install software that has been ported to FreeBSD (currently nearly 24,000 applications).
- Binary compatibility: for software that hasn't been specifically ported to FreeBSD. PC-BSD can run almost any GNU/Linux application using Wine. It is also able to run many Windows applications using
- Easy to update: PC-BSD provides a built-in Update Manager that will notify you of available updates and allow you to apply operating system security fixes, bug fixes, system enhancements as well as upgrade to newer versions of the operating system or installed software.
- Virus-free: PC-BSD is not affected by viruses, spyware and other malware.
- No defragmentation: PC-BSD hard drives do not need to be defragmented and do not slow down over time. PC-BSD also supports which is a self-healing filesystem.
- Architecture support: PC-BSD is available for 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
- Laptop support: provides power saving and swap space encryption and automatically switches between wired and wifi network connections.
- Secure environment: PC-BSD provides a pre-configured and brute-force attack protection with
- Easy system administration: PC-BSD provides a Control Panel containing many graphical tools for performing system administration tasks.
- Localization: PC-BSD supports a number of native languages and locales.
- Vibrant community: PC-BSD has a friendly and helpful support community.
- Professional support: professional email and phone support is available from