Difference between revisions of "Goals and Features/9.2"
From PC-BSD Wiki
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
[[Image:home.png|link=http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-|center|Return to Table of Contents]] [[Image:previous1.png|left|link=http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Differences_Between_PC-BSD_and_Microsoft_Windows|Previous: Differences Between PC-BSD and Microsoft Windows]] [[Image:next1.png|right|link=http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_Releases|Next: PC-BSD Releases]]
Revision as of 11:07, 14 March 2011
PC-BSD has been designed with the "casual" computer user in mind. The PC-BSD community aims to provide the following features:
- Easy installation: to install PC-BSD, simply insert the installation DVD, reboot the system to start the installer, and answer a few questions in the graphical menus.
- Automatically configure hardware: such as video, sound, network and other devices so that they are available for use at the first system startup.
- Intuitive desktop interface: PC-BSD comes with the latest stable version of the KDE desktop environment. The KDE applications alone will probably cover most of your day-to-day computing needs.
- Easy software management: with the included PC-BSD Software Manager utility, installing, upgrading, and uninstalling PBI software is safe and easy.
- Easy to update: PC-BSD provides a built-in Update Manager that will notify you of available system updates to install security fixes, bug fixes, system enhancements and newer versions of software.
- Visually attractive: PC-BSD installs Nvidia video card drivers and the Compiz-Fusion accelerated 3D desktop for the next level of desktop experience. Adobe Flash is installed so you can watch your favorite movies and videos on Youtube and Google Video.
- Architecture support: PC-BSD is available for the i386 architecture and for 64bit systems.
- Laptop support: provides power saving and swap space encryption, and automatically switches between wired and wifi network connections.
- Secure environment: PC-BSD provides a pre-configured PF firewall and brute-force attack protection with denyhosts. It is also safe from viruses, adware, spyware and trojans.
- Binary compatibility: able to run almost all GNU/Linux applications like Oracle, WordPerfect, Skype, Doom 3, Quake 4, etc. through the Linux Compatibility Layer (LCL) and able to run Windows XP/2000 through emulators (such as Qemu or Win4BSD) and Windows applications through the Wine PBI.
- Easy system administration: PC-BSD provides many graphical tools for performing system administration tasks.
- Localization: PC-BSD supports a number of native languages and locales.
- Vibrant community: PC-BSD has a friendly and helpful support community.
- Professional support: professional email and phone support is available from iXsystems.