Common Human Interface Guideline
The purpose of this page is to help direct the defaults given in PC-BSD® for all of the available desktops whether "supported" or "unsupported" so that the initial configuration is more intuitive, reasonable, usable, and non-jarring. The intent is not to emulate Mac or Windows, however, some things may be accepted widely enough to consider.
- left-top, center-top, right-top each may be set to different effects.
- These would be considered jarring and unexpected, and therefore should be unset/disabled.
- The most common method of workspace switching is via pager module or widget, or a menu item. Switching by way of a mouse scroll-wheel would be considered jarring and should not be enabled.
- click to focus/focus follows mouse
- These are the two common options but it is fairly obvious which is selected as default, so either would be ok.
- single/double-click to open/execute
- Both Windows and MacOS have preferred double-click.