PC-BSD® Users Handbook/10.1/en
|PC‑BSD® Users HandbookProtection (edit): Edited by: FuzzyBot|
This is the wiki area for the collaborative editing of the upcoming edition (rolling releases up to the next release, version 10.1) of the PC‑BSD® Users Handbook. If you are using STABLE or would like to assist in documenting the next release, refer to this wiki version of the Handbook. Otherwise, refer to the version of the PC‑BSD® Users Handbook that matches your RELEASE version of PC‑BSD®.
Beginning with PC-BSD® version 8.2, a PDF of the Users Handbook matching the released version is included as an icon on the PC-BSD® desktop. In addition, the Users Handbook is published in various formats as listed below. If you are interested in translating a released version of the documentation, refer to these instructions.
Published RELEASE Versions (in reverse chronological order):
PC-BSD® 10.0.2 is expected to be released on 23 June 2014. The 10.0.2 Users Handbook is available in the following formats:en
PC-BSD® 10.0 was released on 29 Jan 2014. The 10.0 Users Handbook is available in the following formats:en
The following wiki translations are also available or are in progress:
PC-BSD® 9.2 was released on 07 Oct 2013. The 9.2 Users Handbook is available in the following formats:
The following wiki translations are also available:
PC-BSD® 9.1 was released on 18 Dec 2012. The 9.1 Users Handbook is available in the following formats:
PC-BSD® 9.0 was released on 13 Jan 2012. The 9.0 Users Handbook is available in the following formats:
- For those who prefer to purchase a copy of the Handbook for their Kindle, "PC-BSD® 9.0 Handbook (English Version)" is available from Amazon. The ASIN is B006W0EHN8 and this version is text-to-speech enabled.
- For those who prefer a "dead tree" version of the Handbook, the book version as well as a book and DVD bundle are available from FreeBSD Mall. The ISBN for the book is 1-57176-398-8.
PC-BSD® 8.2 was released on 24 Feb 2011. The 8.2 Users Handbook is available in the following formats:
- For those who prefer to purchase a copy of the Handbook for their Kindle, "PC-BSD® 8.2 Handbook (English Version)" is available from Amazon. The ASIN is B004SP6PXY and this version is text-to-speech enabled.
All versions of the PC-BSD® Handbook are released under the Creative Commons Attribution License. This means that you are free to distribute, modify, translate, and convert the Handbook to other formats, as long as your version retains the following attribution text:
|Copyright 2011-2014, The PC-BSD® Project.
PC-BSD® and the PC-BSD® logo are trademarks of iXsystems.
|If you translate the handbook to another language, or convert it to other formats, please let us know so that we can help you spread the word and include it on the FTP server.|
The Handbook grows into a useful resource when users (meaning you!) contribute to it. You do not have to write large sections of the Handbook in order to be a contributor. You also do not need to have a lot of time on your hands. You simply have to create a login account in order to assist with any of the following tasks:
- proofread existing pages and fix any typos, grammos, or unclearly worded sections.
- add to sections containing missing, outdated, or incomplete content.
- update any screenshots that are out of date.
- every page has a Discussion tab. You can use this if you would like to suggest further information that should appear in that section of the Handbook.
- create a new section for content that is not yet covered in the Handbook. If you are not sure where to do this, ask on a semi-related Discussion tab.
We are emailed whenever edits are made and will contact you for clarification if an edit is unclear. You can also be notified when specified pages are edited--simply click the "my preferences" or "my watchlist" links whenever you are logged into the wiki.
Work in Progress: PC-BSD® Users Handbook (Rolling Release)
Beginning in February, 2013, PC-BSD® switched to a rolling release model for those users who wish to test changes that will be incorporated into the next release of PC-BSD®. The wiki is used to document these changes and assist with translation.
If the information and screenshots on the wiki do not match what you are seeing on your PC-BSD® system, it means it has changed since your version was released. You should instead refer to the Users Handbook that came with your version of PC-BSD®.
Table of Contents
4.8 Logging In/10.1
6.16 Window Maker/10.1
7.3 PBI Manager/10.1
8.11 Disk Manager/10.1
8.13 Mount Tray/10.1
8.19 Life Preserver/10.1
8.20 Report a bug/10.1
9.6 Thin Client/10.1
10.1 PC-BSD® Forums/10.1
10.2 IRC Channel/10.1
10.3 Mailing Lists/10.1
10.5 Social Media/10.1
10.7 Other Resources/10.1